National Council for the Social Studies

National Council for the Social Studies Community Network

Are you going to the NCSS Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. December 2-4? If so, are there any particular clinics, sessions, or meetings you plan to attend? Any keynotes or presenters you really want to hear?

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I will be presenting in a pre-clinic with Primary Source on December 1st at 2:00-5:00 - presenting how non-fiction can be effectively used in the elementary classroom with a global focus.  I am so glad that the NCSS has a place where elementary teachers are recognized for their work to create global citizens!

You may also want to view the webinar I just recorded for the Global Collaborative on-line conference called Civics in the Elementary Classroom.   http://globaleducation.ning.com/page/2011-conference-quick-links

Thanks for helping get the word out about this clinic, Marcy! It's going to be a great workshop and there are still some seats available!

I will be presenting EDSITEment on Friday 9am Dec. 2. Overview of EDSITEment and tip and techiques for finding the best NEH vetted resources for social studies and history teachers.

NEH and  EDSITEment will also be staffing a table in the exhibitors hall.

Dr. Bert Bower, founder of TCI, and I will be presenting a pre-clinic on Supercharging Student Engagement with Technology.  The web is filled with free web tools, but little direction on how to use them with meaningful strategies.  We're excited to showcase some free tools, but more importantly, the how-to when it comes to pedagogy.  TCI will also have a booth and a shorter web 2.0 session during the conference.  Please stop by!

Amy and Leon Kass, editors of a new anthology, What So Proudly We Hail: The American Soul in Story, Speech, and Song, will be presenting on how American short stories can be used to promote civic education.

Participants will also be introduced to a free online curriculum, "The Meaning of America," featuring discussions with New York Times columnist David Brooks, Washington Post columnist Judith Martin ("Miss Manners"), and many more.

Date: Saturday, December 3
Time: 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.

I highly recommend that everyone attend the screening of Beyond Belief - we did a program earlier this year with Beth Murphy and Patti Quigley and it was incredibly moving! 

I am very excited about doing my first poster session #104 "Teach Students How to Think, Not What to Think"  I will be demonstrating how we use the simple four step SCAN critical thinking strategy to get kids to understand different perspectives.  I will showcase student work from the ISTE Innovative Technology Award winning project - "Who Owns History."

Looking for an engaging way to have your kids practice historical thinking?  Check out "Practice Historical Thinking and Civil Discourse with SCAN."  Free lessons you can use the next day!

Not presenting this year, but attending  - looking forward to great sessions, some networking, and checking out the MLK Memorial

I am presenting on Copyright and Fair Use in the Social Studies. Although I have presented in a breakout session in previous years, I was wondering what I should bring to a poster presentation? Does anyone know what NCSS will provide at my table?

Yes, I have two presentations on Sat. Dec. 3rd. The first one is in Room 149B at 3:15pm
Be Part of the Revolution—Join Twitter and
Social Studies Chat

and the second one is also in Room 149B at 4:30pm

Lights, Camera...History! Focusing on using video in the classroom.

Both presentations are with a group of great educators, one of which is Greg Kulowiec.

I also plan on attending the Technology Community meeting on Friday.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2014   Created by Thomas Daccord.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service