National Council for the Social Studies

National Council for the Social Studies Community Network

Hi, everyone,

I wondered how you were planning covering the 2012 Presidential election in your classes?  I'm seriously considering some type of expanded project with my senior Government classes starting in early 2012 with the primary season.

At this point, I'm thinking about some sort of collaborative project with other high school teachers who might want to interact with my students through the late winter and spring months.  I'm still in the planning stage, especially since I will have new students in January, and don't really know their backgrounds, interests, and abilities as of yet.

The way I see it, this election has the possibility of being one of the most interesting campaigns of modern times.  However, I've always been concerned about how students get their information, in particular because of various media outlets with a political "agenda".  This is true for both liberal and conservative media.  I want students to be able to think critically about the issues and make a choice.  In essence, I don't care what political slant they take, but I want them to make a thoughtful and informed choice.

If anyone has any ideas or is interested in a possible collaboration, please reply to this discussion.

Thanks!

Michael H.

Views: 72

Reply to This

Badge

Loading…

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2014   Created by Thomas Daccord.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service